Military Due Date of Taxes

No property tax owed by a person in the armed forces of the United States, or called into active military service of the United States, as defined in § 58-1-102 (PDF), from a reserve or national guard unit, shall be due until 180 days following the conclusion of hostilities in which such person is actually engaged outside the United States or 180 days after such person is transferred from the theater of operations of such hostilities, whichever is sooner.

A person claiming this delay shall apply to the county trustee on or before the day the tax becomes delinquent and present copies of official orders or other satisfactory proof of such person's deployment and stationing outside the United States during a period of hostilities.

The Trustee shall give notice of approved applications to city collecting officials and to the Clerk and Master of the Chancery Court.

This section shall expressly apply to personnel stationed outside the United States during Operation Enduring Freedom or other hostilities where the military personnel are entitled to combat compensation as determined by the United States Department of Defense.

More Information

For additional information, please contact us online or call the Trustee Customer Service at (901) 222-0200.