I am out of business. What do I do with this bill?

Anyone in business on January 1 of the tax year is responsible for paying taxes for that entire year, even if operations ceased prior to December 31. If a business is no longer operating in Shelby County, contact the County Clerk’s Office at (901) 222-3000 to ensure that the business license (for those businesses requiring one) has been canceled. Also, advise the County Assessor at (901) 222-7002, as to the disposition of the equipment, so your account can be removed from the next year's tax roll.

If there is a tax on the roll for a year in which you did no business, the Trustee needs to review the tax liability. To do so, we must have documentation which will substantiate your claim. Documents such as a business license finalized in the year the business closed, proof of sale, electric meter cutoff date, tax returns, and other such documents are required for our review.

Show All Answers

1. What are personalty taxes?
2. I am out of business. What do I do with this bill?
3. I received a bill for years prior to the purchase of my business. What do I do?