Surviving spouses of soldiers killed in action (combat-related only) can be granted tax relief. The surviving spouse must:
- Have been married to the veteran at the time of death
- Not have remarried
- Own and use the property as his/her primary residence on which application is being made
- Provide a copy of his/her spouse’s death certificate
- Provide a form of personal ID such as a social security card, driver’s license, or military ID
- Provide a title or bill of sale (for mobile homes)
- There is no age or income requirement
Note: Determination of eligibility will be made based on information provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs through use of a consent form available in the Shelby County Trustee’s Office. Under no conditions shall property tax relief extend to any person who was dishonorably discharged from any of the armed services.
To apply for Tax Relief, please contact Trustee Customer Service at (901) 222-0200. Signed applications should be returned by April 5, 2022.